Understand your client - before you are understood
Ask about ambition, pains, and dreams
Build optimal business and personal relationships
- Quickly estimate the client's personal needs
- Adapt your approach
- Know the strategy and understand the business
Engage the client in a joint thought process
Do this from your expert role
Positively influence the decision process
- Use a funnel model to guide strategic conversations
- Use proven conversation techniques to maintain good contact
- Deal effectively with objections, emotions, conflicts, and politics
Combine expertise with attention to your client
Look at stakeholders with recognition
- Reinforce your first impression with your body language, tone of voice and choice of words
- Understand your limiting habits and influence them positively
- Translate your value to the client's business needs
Be a sparring partner for your client
Keep the interests of your own organisation in mind as well
Know what is going on in the market
- Prepare strategically for a political case and present it in a 'high pressure' environment.
- See commercial opportunities and work together with your sales colleagues.
- Recognise trends and bring these into discussions with the client
How would you respond to this client?